ABOARD THE DELUXE SMALL SHIP M.S. L'AUSTRAL
|WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
In Ancient Greece and Turkey
Date: September 24 to October 2, 2013
Cost: From $3595 plus air
Activity Level: Moderately Active
For more information or questions contact
the Alumni Relations at 801-626-7535.
Experience firsthand the true character and traditions of Ancient Greece and Turkey during this comprehensive travel program featuring the windswept paradise of Greece's ancient island and choras
(countryside) and Turkey's fabled coast. Enjoy an enriching travel experience like no other at an excellent value, including a specially designed excursion each day, all accommodations and meals. Interact with local people; explore the history and culture, art, language, cuisine, and the rhythm of daily island life and unpack just once! This popular program is one of the Village Life series that immerses you in a comprehensive and intimate travel experience at just the right pace.
|| Depart from the U.S.
|| Athens, Greece/Piraeus/Embark M.S. L'Austral
|| Delos/Mykonos (Optional excursion: panoramic tour of Mykonos)
|| Santorini (C'est Bon culinary Traditions option)
|| Rhodes (Optional excursion: visit the Acropolis of Lindos)
|| Patmos (Cultural Enrichment)
|| Ephesus, Turkey
|| Trot (Cultural Enrichment)
||Istanbul/Disembark M.S. L'Austral/Return to the U.S. (Post-cruise options)
- Hear it from the Experts! Prominent Faculty, Guest Speakers, and experiences, English-speaking local guides will accompany you throughout the program and discuss historical, cultural and contemporary Greek and Turkish topics
- Engage local Patmians and Aeginetans, residents of Patmos and Aegina, during the Village Forum where they share their candid perspectives of life today on these ancient islands. In addition, enjoy a private performance of traditional Greek music and dancing.
- Sample authentic Greek cuisine during a specially designed, exclusive C'est Bon Culinary Traditions optional excursion featuring wines and local foods
- Learn key Greek and Turkish phrases and pronuciations to make your interactions with local residents all the more enjoyable
- Enjoy time on your own—explore Kusadasi's colorful bazaars; stroll the narrow streets of Santorini's charming Fira; and enjoy a spectacular sunset sipping ouzo harbor-side in Mykonos' Little Venice
Small Ship, State-of-the-Art Design
The M.S. L'Austral, launched in 2011, represents the newest generation of Five-Star small ships, featuring only 120 Staterooms at distinctive French sophistication.
Spacious Suites and Staterooms, 95% with Private Balconies, 100% with Ocean Views
Large, Deluxe, air-conditioned Suites and Staterooms (200 to 484 square feet) feature Five-Star deluxe hotel amenities. Most accommodations have twin beds that convert to one queen bed; each has a private bathroom with one shower and luxurious amenities of a fine hotel, including climate control, satellite flatscreen television, wireless internet access, safe, minibar, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table and plush robes.
Chic and Casual Dining
International and regional cuisine are served in the spacious and stylish Le Coromandel dining room in single, unassigned seating, alfresco in the causal indoor-outdoor Le Rodrigues Restaurant or from 24-hour room service. Continental and buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea, and a four-course dinner are served daily. Complimentary wine and beer are served with dinner.
Spacious Public Areas/World-Class Service and Facilities
Inviting and spacious public areas accommodate all passengers comfortably. Enjoy views from the Panoramic Lounge, nightly entertainment in the Main Lounge, and lectures, cultural performances, and film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater, there is a library, internet salon, Sun Deck, swimming pool, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath-style steam room, full range of fitness equipment and two elevators. The infirmary is staffed with a doctor and nurse. The highly trained and personable, English-speaking. international crew provides attentive service.
Respect for the Environment
The state-of-the-art propulsion system provides an exceptionally smooth quiet and comfortable voyage by creating a little vibration and significantly reduced engine noise. The ship is designed to prevent contact with environmentally sensitive seabeds and meets the latest "Clean Ship" standards. The ship has two tenders.
On board the M.V. SANTA CRUZ
- Seven-night cruise from Athens, Greece, to Istanbul, Turkey, with port calls in Delos, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Patmos, Greece; and Kusadasi for Ephesus, and Canakkale for Troy, Turkey.
- Spacious, Five-Star, Deluxe Ocean-View accommodations, each with private bathroom.
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- All Means—continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffer lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine and beer are served with dinner.
Local Expert-Guided Excursions
- Walking tour of Delos' splendid classical ruins including the Sanctuary of Apollo and the Theatre quarter.
- Tour of Santorini, featuring visits to the Akrotiri excavation, the Museum of Prehistoric Thera, and a cable car ride from Fira.
- Walking tour of medieval Rhodes Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with a visit to the Palace of the Grand Masters.
- Tour of the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Monastery of St. John, a UNESCO World Heritage site, on the island of Patmos.
- Excursion from Kusadasi to the magnificent ruins of Ephesus, including a visit to the Terrace Houses.
- Visit to the ancient city of Troy.
Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
ENHANCED TRAVEL SERVICES
- Village Forum with local residents who will discuss life on the islands of the Aegean Sea.
- Introduction to the Greek and Turkish languages.
- Special cooking demonstrations led by the ship's pastry chef.
- Traditional Greek music and dance performances.
- Insight from historian Eleni Zachariou on excursions throughout the program.
ATHENS PRE-CRUISE OPTION
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their international air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined in the Included Features, with experienced, English-speaking local guides.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions.
- Experienced Travel Director to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk in the hotels and aboard the ship.
- Experienced team of Program Directors to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Thomas P. Gohagan & Company.
Begin your odyssey in Western Civilization's first great center of democracy and philosophy, Athens, Greece. Guided tours to the Parthenon, the new Acropolis Museum, and mystical Delphi are included. Deluxe accommodations for two nights are in the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens hotel.
ISTANBUL POST-CRUISE OPTION
Istanbul is the only city in the world that bridges two continents. This special two-night option features guided tours of the city's UNESCO World Heritage site landmarks—Hagia Mosque. Visit the legendary Grand Bazaar, one of the world's largest and most colorful covered markets. Accommodations are in the deluxe Grand Hyatt Istanbul hotel.
CAPPADOCIA AND ISTANBUL POST-CRUISE OPTION
This exclusive four-night extension is a perfect opportunity to visit the magnificent UNESCO World Heritage treasures of Istanbul and inland Turkey. The enchanting world of 2,000-year-old rock-hewn villages and spectacular valleys of Cappadocia, one of nature's most captivating treasures and a UNESCO World Heritage site, is located in the heart of Anatolia. Experience the region's distinctive culture and learn more about the centuries-old tradition of handcrafted res-clay pottery in Avanos during a potters' demonstration of the renowned earthenware. Return to Istanbul, the former center of the glorious Ottoman Empire. Enjoy inclusive guided tours of the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque. Visit the legendary Grand Bazaar, one of the world's largest and most colorful covered markets. Two-night accommodations are in each of the deluxe Grand Hyatt Istanbul hotel and the luxury Cappadocia Cave Resort in the heart of Goreme National Park.
For more information call (801)626-7535